Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: MR64A's and 290's on Ebay

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    MR64A's and 290's on Ebay

    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: MR64A's and 290's on Ebay

    What are the Giant Voice drivers?

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    MR64A's and 290's on Ebay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: MR64A's and 290's on Ebay

    290E most likely...100 watt RMS phenolic, good midrange unit.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MR64A's and 290's on Ebay

    Did anybody here get these? $365 seems like a okay deal to me.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MR64A's and 290's on Ebay

    Those look sweet. I love the 'Speed Rails' (?) enclosures. Looks like something i'd build myself. Not sure what Giant Voice meant, but they appear to have the weatherproofing covers on them (showing that text).

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MR64A's and 290's on Ebay

    The deep rear covers housed line xfmrs.

    Giant Voice was Altec's name for outdoor emergency warning type systems of the 50's & 60's (and maybe later). Primarily consisted of 290s & 300Hz horns, and small shacks stuffed with mega Altec green gear.

    32



    Unless they had to pay big for shipping, someone got a steal there.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    MR64A's and 290's on Ebay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: MR64A's and 290's on Ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post

    Giant Voice was Altec's name for outdoor emergency warning type systems of the 50's & 60's (and maybe later).
    I think major military contracts ended with the finish of the Vietnam War. Along with orders for them...

    For sure still in use in 1973...

    A fellow at Altec told me probably a thousand 290E's were abandoned in Vietnam...I liquidated a bunch Altec had left..
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MR64A's and 290's on Ebay

    Yeah, the sheer numbers are a bit staggering. The Giant Voice installation for Vandenberg AFB spec'd;

    364 -290s
    182 -1003 horns w/y-throats and 45 deg adapters
    182 -1570 amps

    and a WHOLE bunch more..., 128Bs, compressors, pre's, battery banks, Watchguards, SEQURs, mics, switching, etc...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.